November is Prematurity Month and today (what’s left of it) is World Prematurity Day. So we wanted to do our part to spread some awareness around. Some info:
- In the United States, 1 in 8 babies is born prematurely that’s about 543,000 babies a year
- Worldwide, 13 million babies are born too soon each year
- Babies born just a few weeks early are at risk of severe health problems and lifelong disabilities.
- Premature birth is the number 1 killer of newborns.
- Tonight, the Empire State Building will be glowing purple and white in honor of March of Dimes and World Prematurity Day.
So do your part – don’t be born early. Even if all your friends are doing it. Just say No.
And you can donate to a worthy charity such as Graham’s Foundation. We mentioned them before – they are a great organization that supports families of micropreemies with care packages, information and community. We are fans.
It seems like a million years ago and like yesterday.